Skip to main content

Not getting Shell on Mr.Robot CTF on TryHackMe?




Well, this was my first machine on THM and I pulled my hairs on not getting the shell when I was doing all the stuff just right.

It was Mr.Robot's CTF, I tried literally everything to get the shell, I tried PHP reverse shell, meterpreter session, metasploit's wp_admin module, malicious Wordpress plugins but of no avail.

I turned to TryHackMe's discord server to check what am I doing wrong, what came out was very funny and frustrating at the same time 😅

Lets take an example of PHP Reverse Shell, when you submit the PHP shell code in 404.php page, you have to configure two things, one is your IP(LHOST) and other is your Port. I was putting my eth0/wlan0's IP address into the LHOST and I was never getting anything back on netcat. As TryHackMe uses OpenVPN proxy to connect to their server so your eth0/wlan0's IP is not your LHOST, after connecting to OpenVPN, run IP address command and use the tun0 IP address, this is your listening host aka LHOST. Alternatively you can go on TryHackMe's Access Page, the IP mentioned there under "Internal Virtual IP Address" can also be used. This was a minor mistake but it wasted some hours of mine. Now you'll be able to listen on netcat and get a shell through PHP shell code. ❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hacker 101 CTF Walkthrough: Petshop Pro

I am back with another walkthrough to one of the  HackerOne 's CTF Petshop Pro . Let's look at the interface of this web page.

Hacker101 CTF Walkthrough: Micro-CMS v1

Here is the walkthrough for another CTF available on  Hacker 101  is Micro-CMS v1 This CTF has four flags and I will walk you off through each one of them. Let's start! This is the main page of the CTF where you have some options like you can create some pages, and read the already created ones. Flag 0: To find the flag0 you need to first create a page with some random content After creating the page, you will be redirected to the page you just created showing the contents. Observe the URL at this moment. It will be something like: http://34.74.105.127/242d57e34e/page/13 Noticing that our page number has been assigned number 13 and by manually changing the page number you can access other pages. Now click on Edit this Page  button in the top right corner. Now observe the URL which will be like http://34.74.105.127/242d57e34e/page/edit/13 So we know now that we can access a page in two ways, by simply hitting the page URL and by hitting the edit page URL.